[Politech] Privacy International warns of UK "snooper's charter" [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 04:45:51 PST

    Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 04:08:49 +0000
    To: s.g.davies@private
    From: Simon Davies <s.g.davies@private>
    Subject: Grave security dangers in new "Snooper's Charter"

    PRIVACY INTERNATIONAL

    MEDIA RELEASE

    SECURITY FEARS OVER THE NEW UK "SNOOPER'S CHARTER"

    Personal details of millions of UK citizens will be available to
    Russian and Balkan authorities

    EMBARGOED UNTIL 11 PM, TUESDAY 4th NOVEMBER, 2003
    Privacy International will today warn a House of Lords conference that
    government proposals to stockpile details of all phone and Internet usage
    of the entire UK population will create grave dangers for privacy and security.

    A number of Orders (Statutory Instruments) currently being considered by
    Parliament will establish a regime for the warehousing for at least a year
    of every phone call and email sent and received by every UK consumer.

    This sensitive information, together with account and financial data, will
    eventually be available on request to investigation authorities in
    countries such as Estonia, Serbia, Russia and Croatia. The data will in
    time also be available to most European countries.

    The potential for overseas countries to access this information comes about
    through a range of international treaties. The most notable of these is the
    recent Council of Europe (CoE) Cybercrime Convention, which allows for
    "minimum standard" mutual law enforcement assistance between nations
    http://conventions.coe.int/Treaty/EN/WhatYouWant.asp?NT=185 . 37 countries
    have so far signed the treaty, including Armenia, Greece, Lithuania and
    Turkey http://conventions.coe.int/Treaty/EN/searchsig.asp?NT=185&CM=&DF=

    Albania, Estonia and Croatia have already ratified the treaty, thus
    bringing it into legal force. The UK has signed the treaty, but no date has
    yet been set for its ratification into law.

    Russia has been arguing in the G8 for a data retention regime. If
    successful, it too would have access to UK data under the mutual assistance
    treaties.

    The low standard of evidence or authentication demanded for these transfers
    creates exceptional dangers to many ethnic and other groups in the UK. The
    conditions for sharing this information are such that the transfer does not
    have to involve dual-criminality. In the G8, the CoE, and under other
    mutual legal assistance agreements, there are no requirements for dual
    criminality. In fact the CoE convention on cybercrime dissuades governments
    from allowing for dual criminality before data is required to be shared.
    There are grounds for refusal, but they are limited.

    During the negotiations on the CoE convention on cybercrime, U.S. industry
    opposed international co-operation on the grounds that U.S. service
    providers would end up having to respond to requests for customer data from
    foreign governments more so than any other country's industry. After the
    United States, with its advanced telecommunications service industry, the
    United Kingdom is the likely candidate to receive the highest number of
    such requests from any country that has a mutual legal assistance treaty
    with us.

    Current procedures in the UK do not require dual-criminality when
    responding to requests from other countries. In fact, sometimes only very
    basic information is required to inform the UK officials of the purpose of
    the data to be transferred.

    According to current policy, the United Kingdom can receive a request for
    help from an overseas criminal court or tribunal, an overseas prosecutor,
    or any other overseas authority that appears to have the function of making
    requests for help in criminal cases. Dual criminality is not required, and
    requests are 'rarely declined' [y]. Governed under the Criminal Justice
    (International Co-operation Act 1990, the Regulation of Investigatory
    Powers Act under Part I, Chapter I section 5 allows, under a mutual
    assistance agreement, the disclosure of interception and communications
    data. This data may also be used for intelligence purposes.

    The passage of the current orders and the implementation of data retention
    would make data regarding UK citizens available to governments around the
    world with little oversight or control. This data will be made available
    without regard to dual-criminality, and it may in turn be kept by foreign
    governments as they see fit. Countries such as the U.S. that do not have
    data retention schemes will benefit from the vast store of information
    available on UK citizens even when similar stores are not available on
    their own citizens.

    Privacy International's Director, Simon Davies, warned "The governments
    plan to stockpile this massive amount of sensitive information poses a risk
    to a great many people. The proposals should be abandoned immediately".

    "The proposals are ill considered, unnecessary and unlawful" he added.

    the Earl of Erroll (C-B)

    - A series of regulations (Statutory Instruments) recently laid before the
    Parliament intends to create a legal basis for comprehensive surveillance
    of communications. The regulations will allow an extensive list of public
    authorities access to records of individuals' telephone and Internet usage
    (under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act). This "communications
    data" -- phone numbers and e-mail addresses contacted, web sites visited,
    locations of mobile phones, etc. - will be available to government without
    any judicial oversight. Not only does government want access to this
    information, but it also intends to oblige companies to keep personal data
    just in case it may be useful (provisions of the Anti Terrorism, Crime &
    Security Act).

    - [y] Reference: The Home Office, Seeking assistance in criminal matters
    from the United Kingdom, Guidelines for judicial and prosecuting
    authorities (Second Edition), by the Judicial Co-operation Unit, Organised
    and International Crime Directorate.

    - Simon Davies of Privacy International can be reached for comment on 07958
    466 552 (from the UK) or on (+44) 7958 466 552 (from outside the UK). Email
    simon@private

    - Privacy International (PI) www.privacyinternational.org is a human rights
    group formed in 1990 as a watchdog on surveillance by governments and
    corporations. PI is based in London, and has an office in Washington,
    D.C.  Together with members in 40 countries, PI has conducted campaigns
    throughout the world on issues ranging from wiretapping and national
    security activities, to ID cards, video surveillance, data matching, police
    information systems, and medical privacy, and works with a wide range of
    parliamentary and inter-governmental organisations such as the European
    Parliament, the House of Lords and UNESCO.

    -