[Politech] Implications of report by Postal Service commission [priv][fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 06:26:54 PST

    Declan:

    As far as I know, no one in this thread has yet addressed the
    implications of the recently released report by the President's
    Commission on the United States Postal Service, a panel President Bush
    appointed last year to advise him on postal policy issues
    (http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/domestic-finance/usps/).  In its Final
    Report the Commission urges the Postal Service to address the
    inconveniences its customers face when visiting a post office by
    massively decentralizing its retail operations.  I believe these
    recommendations, if followed, would tend to mitigate the privacy
    concerns expressed by some Politech contributors.

    The report recommends, among other things, "expanding and accelerating
    efforts already underway at the Postal Service to bring a wider array of
    services to customers in convenient locations throughout their community
    -- from grocery stores, to pharmacies, to cash machines, and even into
    homes and businesses via a more robust and user friendly Postal Service
    website."  The point of this "revolution in retail access" would be to
    permit postal customers "to avoid the greatest inconvenience of a post
    office -- having to make a special trip there."  As more and more USPS
    customers buy their stamps from anonymous kiosks located outside of
    traditional post offices, the likelihood that the Postal Service would
    be able associate personal data with individual bar code numbers stored
    in a data base -- even if it wanted to -- seems increasingly remote.

    Will the Postal Service follow the broad thrust of the Commission's
    recommendations?  I think it will, for reasons of financial necessity if
    nothing else.  The USPS is facing a progressive loss of its First Class
    letter mail volume, which traditionally has been a key revenue stream.
    (Think what the advent of cheap long-distance telephony, fax, email, and
    electronic bill payment and presentment have meant for the USPS's
    business.)  They know that if they want to survive and thrive in the
    21st century, they will have to do everything possible to reduce the
    cost its customers face for using postal services (where "cost" is
    understood to encompass not only money prices but time and inconvenience
    as well).

    Sincerely,

    (Declan: Please expunge my name before posting this.)