[Politech] Belkin router quietly replaces web pages with ads [priv][sp]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 06:13:09 PST

    Date: 7 Nov 2003 23:43:57 -0500
    From: "John R Levine" <johnl@private>
    To: "Declan McCullagh" <declan@private>
    Subject: Belkin router replaces web pages with ads

    In case a hundred people haven't sent you this amazing message from usenet
    (it's gone from Google but it's real and available on most other news
    servers).  Their routers hijack a web connection every eight hours and
    replace it with an ad for their filterware service.  "Ease of use" now
    means "shove down your throat".  Wow.  I guess I know one company I'm not
    going to be buying any more network gear from.

    Regards,
    John Levine, johnl@private, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",