[Politech] Doug Isenberg on Amazon.com's "Search Inside the Book" feature

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 21:41:51 PST

    Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:41:25 -0500
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
    From: Doug Isenberg <disenberg@private>
    Subject: My thoughts on Amazon.com's "Search Inside the Book" feature

    Declan:

    	You may have noticed that CNET News.com has just published my column about
    Amazon.com's new and controversial "Search Inside the Book" feature.

    	Here are a couple of excerpts:

    	"I wrote a book that sells for $17.95. Amazon.com has always advertised it
    for 30 percent off. Now, the Web retailer is offering online access to
    every page of my book for free. I like the idea, though the copyright
    lawyer in me is a bit uneasy about it....

    	"The company says it has agreements with 190 publishers to publish their
    books' actual pages online. But I've not heard of Amazon asking for
    permission from the books' authors, and, as an author myself, I can say for
    certain that neither Amazon nor Random House directly asked me to
    participate in this feature....

    	"The more interesting issue is whether Amazon needs permission from us
    authors or even, for that matter, from our publishers themselves."

    	Feel free to share this link to the column with your Politech readers:
    http://news.com.com/2010-1025-5105389.html

    Doug Isenberg
    Attorney at Law
    Editor & Publisher, GigaLaw.com (http://www.GigaLaw.com)