[Politech] Suresh Ramasubramanian on blocking Chinese networks [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 06:26:36 PST

    Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:55:18 -0500
    From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
    CC: politech@private
    Subject: Re: [Politech] A reply on Chinanet, spam,      and blocking
    Chinese networks
      [fs]

    Declan McCullagh writes on 11/18/2003 9:27 AM:

    >In our experience, Chinanet is one of the top 3 sources of unsolicited email,

    Not all of chinanet, I'd say.  It is not a single entity - it is a large
    collection of provincial ISPs.

    One part of chinanet - chinanet-js (Chinanet Jiangsu Province) - has a far
    cleaner and spam free operation than the average chinanet setup.

    See this post from Chinanet-JS admin Edd Yu, for example
    <http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=492c6d09.0204170418.37fbf217%40posting.google.com>

    Search for further posts from edd_yu [at] yahoo.com on
    news.admin.net-abuse.email for more information on what the situation is,
    wrt spam.

    This might not be a retaliatory block at all.  Please also remember that
    China has a trend of government mandated blacklists that all ISPs must
    enforce.  These might be router level blocks, DNS redirects etc.  You might
    want to check if your ISP has landed in one such list. See the studies on
    chinese censorship of the internet, from Jon Zittrain and Ben Edelman of
    Harvard Law School (they have been featured on politech and IP more than once)

             --srs

    ---------------------------

    ps - Edd will most likely be speaking on a panel about spam problems
    (american spammers setting up shop on asian ISPs, blocklisting issues etc)
    during the conference track on spam at APRICOT 2004 (www.apricot2004.net)
    at Kuala Lumpur.  This conference track, and a hands on workshop on spam,
    will be organized by APCAUCE (http://www.apcauce.org) on Feb 24 and 25.

    APRICOT is the largest netops conference in the asia pac region (the asia
    pac equivalent of NANOG, sort of).

    The program is not finalized yet - I'll post to politech once it is
    finalized.  However, I can confirm that Dave Crocker has agreed to speak at
    this event.