[Politech] Why the Fed spam law is probably pretty problematic after all [sp]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Sat Nov 22 2003 - 16:34:40 PST

    From: "Sanford Olson" <solson@private>
    To: "Declan McCullagh" <declan@private>
    Subject: Re: [Politech] Congress finally poised to vote on anti-spam bill [sp]
    Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:38:46 -0600

    Hi Declan,

    I'm no lawyer, and that is certainly a long document with all kinds of
    legalese..

    But, my concern is "...as long as the messages are obviously advertisements
    with a valid U.S. postal address or P.O. box
    and an unsubscribe link at the bottom."

      - Most spam *messages* are already obviously advertisements.  They just
    have misleading/misspelled subject lines.

      - Whose valid U.S. postal address?  Anyone's?  "1600 Pennsylvania Ave" is a
    good one to use.

      - Most spam already has an unsubscribe link at the bottom, but it is just
    used by the spammers to learn that the e-mail address was a good one and
    that the receipient is gullible.

    Regards,
    Sanford Olson

    ---