[Politech] Why Fed spam bill is a "critical law, " from America Online [sp]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Sat Nov 22 2003 - 16:46:14 PST

    AMERICA ONLINE, AN INDUSTRY LEADER IN THE FIGHT FOR TOUGHER ANTI-SPAM LAWS,
    APPLAUDS BIPARTISAN CONGRESSIONAL AGREEMENT AND ACTION ON TOUGH NEW SPAM LAWS

    Dulles, VA - November 21, 2003 - America Online, Inc., the world's leading
    interactive services company,  today issued the following statement
    concerning the bipartisan agreement on Federal anti-spam legislation (S.
    877) that is being adopted by Congress:

    "On behalf of our members, AOL applauds this bipartisan agreement on the
    CAN-SPAM ACT legislation, and is pleased that it will soon be sent to the
    President. This law will be a significant weapon for the online industry in
    the ongoing fight to can the spam and thwart the spam kingpins. This is a
    critical new law that will help us turn the tide against spam in the online
    medium for good.

    "This bill provides meaningful tools to law enforcement and Internet
    Service Providers to hold spammers accountable for their actions. We're
    very pleased that the tough enforcement provisions in this new Federal
    legislation will allow enforcement efforts to pursue the most egregious
    spammers who use the worst kind of spamming techniques to send the most
    offensive and unwanted email to our members.  The legislation targets the
    state-of-the-art computer fraud techniques used by spammers, and provides
    for strong criminal and financial penalties."

    About America Online, Inc.

    America Online, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Time Warner Inc. Based
    in Dulles, Virginia, America Online is the world's leader in interactive
    services, web brands, Internet technologies and e-commerce services.

    For More Information, Contact:

    Nicholas Graham, AOL Corporate Communications,

    703-863-3373 (cell)