[Politech] Did Congress just make inbound spam filtering illegal? [sp]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 11:59:23 PST

    Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 17:10:32 -0500
    From: Al Donaldson <al@private>
    To: declan@private, gnu@private
    Subject: Re: [Politech] Another round on what Congress spam bill actually
    does [sp]
    Cc: cjlamb@private

    John Gilmore wrote:
     > I won't spend further time on this message because there is an 80% chance
     > that it will bounce unread -- your antispam software will reject it.
     > (So far, *every* response I've sent to people who sent me email after
     > Declan posted my note has bounced.)

    Then wouldn't that be 100% chance? :-)  But seriously, John, I don't
    know what your timeframe is here.  I know that you and I have exchanged
    mail both ways after I replied to one of your mailings on Politech.

    The real point of my note is to question whether S.877 will make
    inbound spam filtering illegal for commercial companies.  Section
    5(a)(3) of the document I read states:

           (3) INCLUSION OF RETURN ADDRESS OR COM-
       PARABLE MECHANISM IN COMMERCIAL ELECTRONIC
       MAIL.--
       (A) IN GENERAL.--It is unlawful for any
       person to initiate the transmission to a pro-
       tected computer of a commercial electronic mail
       message that does not contain a functioning re-
       turn electronic mail address or other Internet-
       based mechanism, clearly and conspicuously dis-
       played, that--
         (i) a recipient may use to submit...
    [deleted]
         (ii) remains capable of receiving such
         messages or communications for no less
         than 30 days after the transmission of the