[Politech] HP users cry foul at looming death of the open PC

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 06:26:33 PST

    From: "Steelhead" <bill@ries-knight.net>
    To: "Declan@private" <declan@private>
    Subject: HP users cry foul at death of the open PC
    Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:34:48 -0800

    I wondered how long folks could keep quiet.

    At her Keynote address for the CES conference recently, Carly Fiorina
    declared that all  HP systems would be designed to protect DRM.

    As HP is a major supplier of systems to corporations, I can see this could
    be a selling point.  The notion, however, to make all consumer systems
    compliant is a step beyond.  In the past business platforms and
    "SOHO/personal user" systems had different mainboards, but almost everythin
    else is shared and from Industry Standard manufactrers.

    Will they require CD/DVD burners follow a new DRM standard?  and how long
    until there is a software fix? and will it cripple use of old stuff?

    The dialog is beginning.  Should we all go quietly into the showers?

    HP users cry foul at death of the open PC
    By Ashlee Vance in Chicago
    Get The Reg wherever you are, with The Mobile Register

    Letters re: HP declares war on sharing culture

    Based on early feedback, it seems that HP confused its corporate needs with
    customer needs when announcing its commitment to DRM last week at the CES
    conference. A boycott of HP's consumer products is the last thing the
    company's struggling PC business needs, but that is exactly what some
    readers are discussing. We'll see if HP's decision to end the open PC pays
    off in the long run.

    While we received countless letters, we can only print some of the best. And
    here they are.

    I guess Carly decided that the 60 plus million PC owners in the USA who use
    file sharing applications (and the many hundreds of millions worldwide) must
    not be part of HP's core PC market. I wonder where she will find 60+ million
    PC buyers in the USA who don't believe they need to try something before
    they buy it.
    Bill Ries-Knight   ***   Stockton, CA.

    My views on spam and SCO
    http://www.ries-knight.net/index.html