[Politech] Rep. Fred Upton plans "anti-indecency" legislation for FCC [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 06:18:29 PST

    For Immediate
    Release
    January 14, 2004

    Contact:  Sean C. Bonyun
    (202) 225-3761<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

    Upton to Introduce Legislation to Arm FCC with Stiffer
    Fines to Combat Obscenity and Indecency on Public Airwaves

    Telecom Chair has also scheduled hearing on FCC enforcement policy

    WASHINGTON, DC - Congressman Fred Upton (R-St. Joseph), chairman of the
    House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the
    Internet, today announced that he will next week introduce legislation to
    substantially increase financial penalties which the Federal Communications
    Commission (FCC) can impose on broadcasters who air obscenity, indecency,
    and profanity on television and radio.  Also, Upton has scheduled a hearing
    for January 28th to examine the FCC's broadcast indecency enforcement
    policies.

    "It is well past the time that we clean-up our airwaves," said Upton.  "As
    soon as Congress reconvenes next week, I will introduce legislation to
    significantly strengthen the FCC's hand in punishing those who peddle
    indecent and obscene material over our airwaves.  As it currently stands,
    FCC fines are not much of a deterrent.  Stiffer fines should get the
    attention of broadcasters nationwide.  I am confident that when
    broadcasters take a bigger hit in their wallets, they may think twice about
    indecency on the airwaves."

    The Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) Enforcement Bureau recently
    reviewed the use of the "f-word" by the singer Bono during NBC's recent
    telecast of the "Golden Globe Awards."  As Bono received his award, he
    exclaimed, "This is really, really f---ing brilliant."  In the Bono case,
    the FCC's Enforcement Bureau found that, while Bono's use of the "f-word"
    "may be crude and offensive," it was not indecent under the law because, in
    the context in which it was used, it did not meet the legal definition.
    Upton praised reports that FCC Chairman Michel Powell is seeking to reverse
    the Enforcement Bureau's decision.

    "As a father of two young children, I especially find the use of the
    'f-word' and other obscenities on broadcast television wholly
    unacceptable," said Upton.  "As Chairman of the Telecommunications and
    Internet Subcommittee, I will have a public hearing on this matter January
    28th to hold the FCC accountable for their enforcement policy and am
    hopeful that the full Commission will, in fact, reverse the Enforcement
    Bureau's decision."

    #           #           #

      ---

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 14, 2004; Contact: Christopher Chichester,
    Press Secretary, (202-225-4236)

    Smith: FCC Proposal A Partial Victory For Families

    Congressman Lamar Smith, R-San Antonio, issued the following statement
    regarding FCC Chairman Michael Powell's proposal to overturn the agency's
    ruling that found a profanity uttered on network television by performer
    Bono was not indecent:

    "Chairman Powell's proposal is a partial victory for families who want to
    raise their children free from profane language.   I urge the FCC to pass
    it as soon as possible.

    "Profane language on our nation's airwaves is a growing and disturbing
    trend.  We should discourage its use and promote values that strengthen
    families.  Parents should not have to cover their children's eyes and ears
    when they turn on the television."

             Last month Rep. Smith and Rep. Doug Ose introduced The Clean
    Airwaves Act (H.R. 3687), which prohibits eight profane words from being
    broadcast over America's airwaves

    Christopher Chichester
    Press Secretary
    Congressman Lamar Smith (R-Texas 21)