[Politech] Pentagon's Internet "secure voting" system probably isn't

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Jan 23 2004 - 12:22:56 PST

    Forwarded:

    The report is here:
    	http://www.servesecurityreport.org/

    Today's NYTimes story says that seven states, with some 100,000 people,
    will be voting via the Internet using a system that experts say CANNOT be
    both secure and anonymous and which can be hacked in a wide range of
    existing ways that are commonly seen online already.

    	http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/21/technology/23CND-INTE.html

    Report Says Internet Voting System Is Too Insecure to Use
    By JOHN SCHWARTZ

    Published: January 21, 2004

     A new $22 million system to allow soldiers and other Americans overseas
     to vote via the Internet is inherently insecure and should be abandoned,
     according to members of a panel of computer security experts asked by the
     government to review the program.

     The system, Secure Electronic Registration and Voting Experiment, or
     SERVE, was developed with financing from the Department of Defense and
     will first be used in this year's primaries and general election.

    <snip>

     The system, they wrote, "has numerous other fundamental security problems
     that leave it vulnerable to a variety of well-known cyber attacks, any
     one of which could be catastrophic." Any system for voting over the
     Internet with common personal computers, they noted, would suffer from
     the same risks.

     The trojans, viruses and other attacks that complicate modern life and
     allow such crimes as online snooping and identity theft could enable
     hackers to disrupt or even alter the course of elections, the report
     concluded. Such attacks "could have a devastating effect on public
     confidence in elections," the report's authors wrote, and so "the best
     course to take is not to field the SERVE system at all."

     A spokesman for the Department of Defense said the critique overstated
     the importance of the security risks in online voting. "The Department of
     Defense stands by the SERVE program," the spokesman, Glenn Flood, said.
     "We feel it's right on, at this point, and we're going to use it."

    <snip>

     But the authors of the report adamantly state that what works for
     electronic commerce doesn't work for electronic democracy: "E-commerce
     grade security is not good enough for elections," they wrote. The dual
     requirements of authentication and anonymity make voting very different
     from most online purchases, they wrote, and failures and fraud are
     covered by Internet merchants and credit card companies. "How do we
     recover if an election is compromised?" they wrote.

    --
    "No President has ever done more for human rights than I have."
    --George W. Bush in The New Yorker http://www.newyorker.com/press/content/