[Politech] Howard Dean's speech calling for smartcard-based national ID [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 09:04:24 PST

    Column on Dean's privacy views:
    http://news.com.com/2010-1028-5146863.html

    ---

    GOV. HOWARD DEAN
    STATE OF VERMONT
    Prepared remarks to state DMV administrators

    March 27, 2002
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

    [...]

    It is time to take a serious look at hardware and smart-card based
    solutions.

    I believe that the states -- and therefore you -- will lead the way in
    the discovery and implementation of greater digital security. Some of
    you have already begun this process.

    States can move faster than the federal government to ensure that
    employees accessing the state’s network are indeed who they say they
    are and that they are doing legitimate business.

    But it would be shortsighted to imagine that your work is limited to
    solving these problems only for state employees.

    State Chief Information Officers, and each of you here today, have
    tremendous power to forge a solution that will set the standards for
    securing devices for all of us, not just those accessing state
    resources.

    We must develop flexible solutions that will likely require the use of Smart
    Cards and some form of hardened security in a reader or desktop device.

    For example, one state’s Smart Card driver’s license must be
    identifiable by another state’s card reader. It must also be easily
    commercialized by the private sector and included in all PCs over time
    -- making the Internet safer and more secure.

    In an age where identity and trust are paramount, the fact remains
    that the only viable form of universal identity in the U.S. today is
    the state-issued driver’s license.  Think about it: When you entered
    the airport or the train station to travel to this conference, how
    many times did you use your driver’s license to prove your identity?
    Remember -- this is the same driver’s license that teenagers alter in
    order to get into a club or buy cigarettes. Terrorists do it all the
    time. They did it on September Eleventh.

    As you know, states have made great strides in developing drivers
    licenses that are difficult to counterfeit --- even by ingenious
    teenagers.  But the question remains --- how does an airline agent at
    the Pittsburgh airport know what an Alaska or Florida license is
    supposed to look like, let alone identify a counterfeit?

    It is clear that the state issued driver’s license is the current
    identification standard. It is also clear that this is certainly an
    inadequate way to go through this uncertain world.

    Many in private and public life have called for a national
    identification card. In spite of Larry Ellison’s offer to provide the
    necessary software for free --- this has raised a public outcry
    concerning privacy and sharing too much private information with the
    government.

    We can’t let this become our briar patch. I’m from Vermont and believe
    me, government is kept at a respectful but very conscious distance.
    Reality demands that we understand ---First --- that the rise of
    empowered individuals whose single mission is to destroy Americans
    means that we have to fight them at an INDIVIDUAL level and second ---
    that we have already ceded our private information to faceless credit
    card companies and direct marketers who then sell it for a profit.
    Now --- I believe that our nation has the technological capacity to
    protect both our privacy and our way of life.

    And I am convinced that these complex solutions rest in a successful
    partnership between private enterprise and government --- led by state
    governments.  As we stand here today, please accept the vital
    challenge I offer each of you.

    The solutions you create to protect your state’s networks must be
    implemented in a complimentary manner, allowing interaction between
    every state of the Union.

    We must tighten driver’s license standards among the
    states. Fortunately, this work has already begun, led by the American
    Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators’ Task Force on ID
    Security.

    Beyond that, we must move to smarter license cards that carry secure
    digital information that can be universally read at vital checkpoints.
    And we must include new security features to provide ever-greater
    protection against counterfeiting.

    Issuing such a card would have little effect on the privacy of
    Americans.  I understand that you will be discussing privacy issues at
    a later workshop in this important conference --- but let’s take a
    moment to look at privacy in America today.

    In many ways, privacy is the new urban myth.

    Your credit card company knows every flight you’ve taken; they know
    your rental car, your hotel, the movies you watched, and where you had
    breakfast. Credit card companies have a stake in knowing everything
    about you because it’s a marketer’s dream.

    The information for sale regarding your private life is detailed --
    and lucrative.  When it comes to the Internet, every web page you have
    ever visited, every e-mail you have ever sent, every word you have
    ever typed, is stored somewhere and can be accessed by someone with
    the right skills. And as you well know, it’s not just the Good Guys
    who possess these skills.

    What’s the fastest growing crime in the U.S.? Identity theft ---
    stealing individuals’ identities --- not just their credit card
    numbers but their very existence.  So, is the answer to create an
    Orwellian Ministry of Information? No. It’s about creating safe
    passage through a free but threatened life.

    We will not, and should not, tolerate a call to erode privacy even
    further --- far from it. Americans can only be assured that their
    personal identity and information are safe and protected when they are
    able to gain more control over this information and its use.

    Again, this points to Smart Card adoption and development of card
    readers that limit information access but also confirm it --- when
    appropriate.

    The same Smart Card that confirms that a person is a registered voter
    can also be used to validate age in a liquor store.

    The Smart Card owner may decide to put her medical information into
    the card database, which can be accessed by an Emergency Medical
    Technician with a universal authorization code. That EMT can learn the
    blood type and complete medical history of an unconscious accident
    victim.

    The beauty of the Smart Card is that the liquor store doesn’t know
    anything but age, and the hotel doesn’t know about non-hotel
    purchases, and the state knows nothing about any of it.

    On the Internet, this card will confirm all the information required
    to gain access to a state network -- while also barring anyone who
    isn’t legal age from entering an adult chat room, making the internet
    safer for our children, or prevent adults from entering a children’s
    chat room and preying on our kids.

    A Smart Card reader at the airport, adapted to a universal standard
    perhaps designed by those in this very room, could match the ticket
    and the baggage with the card presenter.

    Recently, Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois and Rep. Jim Moran of Virginia
    introduced legislation to provide funding to states to increase the
    security features of driver’s licenses. The Moran Bill provides
    additional and specific funding to states to develop Smart Card
    capabilities.

    I strongly support these efforts and urge you to do the same.

    The European Union is ahead of us because they adopted Smart Card
    technology long ago. The EU has ambitious plans to deploy Smart Cards
    and Smart Card readers throughout the continent -- and to securely
    deliver electronic government services, electronic banking, and
    electronic commerce.  Hong Kong is using Smart Card technology with
    biometrics at security check points.

    My view is that the technology is here but that Americans are reluctant to
    adopt it. It’s time to overcome our fears

    The American resistance to the Smart Card also came from the private
    sector, which was initially the only card issuer. It costs $15 to
    produce a chip-bearing card versus 80 cents to issue a card without
    the security chip. Costs have now gone down dramatically.

    Many new computer systems are being created with card reader
    technology. Older computers can add this feature for very little money.

    [...]