[Politech] Mike Godwin on Godwin's law, HP, and Nazi analogies [ip]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 21:23:13 PST

    Here's the official version of Godwin's law:
    http://www.eff.org/Net_culture/Folklore/Humor/godwins.law

    ---

    Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:33:48 -0500
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>, politech@private
    From: mnemonic <mnemonic@private>
    Subject: Re: [Politech] Criticisms of "HP and death of open PC" Politech
      post
    Cc: CSims@private

    >Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:20:49 -0500
    >From: "Sims, Charles" <CSims@private>
    >To: declan@private
    >
    >Declan:  you circulated today an appalling attack on HP's attempt to
    >protect itself and its customers which analogizes HP to the Nazis and
    >this policy to the Holocaust.  "The dialog is beginning.  Should we all
    >go quietly into the showers?"  Don't attacks like that make you stop and
    >think?

    Sims is entirely correct to condemn the inapt comparison of HP's embrace of
    DRM-based platforms to Nazis and the Holocaust.  Where he goes wrong is in
    characterizing HP's move as an "attempt to protect itself and its
    customers."  The demand for hardware-implemented DRM in PCs is not coming
    from individual PC buyers; it's coming primarily from content companies
    that are pressuring platform makers to include DRM, and secondarily from
    corporate employers who like to have more control over what employees do on
    PCs in the workplace.

    Both of these demands, together with various legislative and regulatory
    initiatives also backed by content companies, are aimed at forcing PC
    makers to end the open PC as we know it.  That will be a tragedy that,
    while certainly not at the level of the Holocaust, nevertheless ought to
    frighten those of us who recognize that open platforms such as the PC and
    the Internet have been the driving forces behind the personal-computer
    revolution.

    --Mike

    "I speak the password primeval .... I give the sign of democracy ...."
                --Walt Whitman
    Mike Godwin can be reached by phone at 202-518-0020
    His book, CYBER RIGHTS, can be ordered at
             http://www.panix.com/~mnemonic .