[Politech] How I came to change my mind and love red light cameras [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Sun Feb 08 2004 - 22:20:37 PST

    From: "Terry Ewing" <politech@private>
    To: "Declan McCullagh" <declan@private>
    Subject: Why red-light cameras level the playing field
    Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 02:25:34 -0500

    Declan,

    I wanted to present how I changed my mind and came to approve of red light
    cameras over a short period of time.

    In January of 2000 I moved from Sacramento, California to Northern New
    Jersey.  It was a radical change in culture and, as anyone would be, I was
    amazed at some of the differences between people living within the same
    country.  One of the things I noticed shortly was how often police run red
    lights while casually driving from place to place in what appeared to be
    blatant disregard to the traffic rules that apply to normal citizens.  Since
    it's mostly unreported it's hard to track how often this happens.

    I heard many anecdotal stories from people who were either police officers
    or firemen about how there is an "unspoken rule" between them not to cite
    each other for non-injury infractions.  New York and New Jersey have a
    system where a police officer can give out laminated cards or "mini-badges"
    to family or friends which they present to the officer when pulled over.
    I've witnessed at least five occasions within two years where people
    presenting these cards were let go with a mild verbal warning instead of the
    citation I believe most average citizens would get.

    Yes, I think I have seen enough personal evidence to confirm there is a
    well-known pact between police and fire officers to be more easygoing on
    each other than Joe Average.  No, I don't think this is something specific
    to the area of the country I am in, but I happened to be exposed to it more
    in my new area.

    I'm an opponent of surveillance of the masses as I think this breeds an
    atmosphere where people fear speaking out against authority.  But I have
    come to respect the red-light camera if it works correctly (which is a
    different discussion).  If it is working correctly it provides strong
    evidence of a person doing something which puts others in immediate risk of
    injury.  With the pictures in hand and a blanket policy about prosecuting
    violators we can gain at least one win against this caste system where being
    related to a law enforcement officer implies leniency.  We can track (yes,
    I'm suggesting cataloging) vehicles which frequently violate at least this
    one infraction.

    Now to the question of ensuring safety.  No, this is not a means to ensure
    safety of motorists or pedestrians.  No punitive action could ever be a
    safety device.  At best it can be a strong deterrent.  Over time, if people
    were to realize they could not violate this statute without probability of
    being fined I think the numbers would reflect a decrease in violators and
    hopefully a decrease in injury accidents.

    These cameras serve many purposes.  For the municipality they increase
    income from citations they would not be writing as often.  From the
    perspective of Joe Average I do believe these cameras will have a beneficial
    impact.  The citations will apply equally to people without regard to race,
    sex, nationality or affiliation.  I also believe it will provide a strong
    deterrent to anyone at the moment their brain and foot make the decision to
    go or stay.

    Opposition to this might call it an extra taxation.  It is not.  This is
    like calling lottery tickets a tax.  You choose your actions.  Let us be
    judged by our actions alone.

    Thank you,
    Terry Ewing