[Politech] Replies to a contrarian, supportive view of red light cams [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Sun Feb 08 2004 - 22:19:36 PST

    Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 00:38:14 -0500 (EST)
    From: Charles Platt <other@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
    Subject: Re: [Politech] A contrarian reply to red light camera thread [priv]

    I wonder if Mr. Healy would be satisfied with a red-light
    camera system that merely made a record without triggering an
    automatic fine. If running a red light caused the death of
    innocent people (such as the "young children" whom Mr. Healy
    seems to feel are somehow more intrinsically valuable than
    other citizens), then the camera record could be used as
    evidence in consequent civil and criminal actions. At the
    same time, since the red-light camera would not generate
    revenue in the absence of accidents, the camera system would
    be free from the taint of the profit motive which obviously
    is a factor, regardless of Mr. Healy's touching belief in the
    fundamental decency of local government functionaries.

    ---