[Politech] ACLU takes on states' MATRIX database [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 22:22:00 PST

    Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:32:46 -0500
    From: carrie davis <carrie.l.davis@private>
    Subject: the ACLU takes on MATRIX
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

    Hi Declan,

    I thought you and Politech readers might be interested in one of the
    projects I'm currently working on at the ACLU: MATRIX, the Multi-State
    Anti-Terrorism Information Exchange. The ACLU of Ohio issued a release &
    alert today (on our website at http://www.acluohio.org), trying to pressure
    the Ohio AG to turn over info about Ohio's participation in MATRIX. Our FOI
    requests haven't been answered, so we tried a new angle to get their
    attention. A similar approach is in use by the ACLU in the other states
    participating in MATRIX, and we have obtained some very enlightening info
    as a result (on the national website at
    http://www.aclu.org/Privacy/Privacy). Nine states have already withdrawn
    from MATRIX, and we're hoping that, with enough public outcry, it will go
    the way of TIA... or at least we can lift the veil of secrecy.

    If you want any more info, let me know. I'm running point here in Ohio, and
    I would be more than happy to answer any questions or put you in touch with
    my counterparts elsewhere.

    Hope you're doing well.

    Best,
    Carrie