[Politech] Is Continental Airlines protecting its customers' privacy? [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 20:56:10 PST

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Continental Airlines re: One Pass Member Personal Data:  BOHICA
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:13:15 -0500
From: Majstoll@private
To: declan@private
CC: majstoll@private

Declan,

For posting - the message below now pops up whenever any Continental Airlines
“One Pass” member logs in to their One Pass account from the Internet.  I feel
better already - first Continental declares that ALL One Pass member personal
data is "proprietary," then they remind One Pass members that they have somehow
already "consented" to allow Continental to share their personal data with
anyone without restriction.

Mike Stollenwerk
-------------------------------
"Review OnePass Member Advisory:

Please review the OnePass Member Advisory below. To continue on to your desired
page, click Continue.

Account Information

OnePass account information is proprietary to Continental Airlines. As a
condition of OnePass membership, you consent and give permission for Continental
to collect, use and transfer the personal data provided by you to Continental
offices in the United States and around the world so that Continental may
furnish you with our products and services.

At Continental's discretion, information regarding your OnePass account may be
supplied to OnePass partners for promotions and also to certain government
agencies for security reasons. If you choose to "opt out" of Continental
Airlines' promotions or our OnePass partners' promotions or have any changes
made to your personal data, please visit My Account or contact your local
OnePass Service Center. You may also access Continental's complete privacy policy."