[Politech] Clarification to amicus briefs filed in Internet anonymity cases [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 20:55:00 PST

    Subject: Actually, it's Public Citizen, ACLU and EFF file amicus briefs
    Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:18:00 -0800
    From: Cindy Cohn <cindy@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

    <x-flowed>
    Hi Declan,

    Just a little clarification. Public Citizen, EFF and ACLU filed the
    amicus briefs jointly and we actually filed 3 briefs, 2 in Georgia
    and one in Pennsylvania. On the Georgia briefs we were joined by the
    Georgia ACLU and on the Pennsylvania briefs we were joined by the
    Pennsylvania ACLU.

    The briefs point out the several procedural errors in the record
    company actions, all of which make it much harder for those accused
    to protect themselves. The briefs also point out the standards for
    removing the protections of anonymity from Internet speakers that
    have been developed in other cases.  We urge the court to apply these
    standards to copyright claims no differently than they are applied
    when the accusation against the anonymous Internet user is
    defamation, trade secret violations or harassment.

    The targeted ISPs are:

    203 Comcast subscribers sued in Pennsylvania, the case is BMG Music
    v. Does 1-203.
    252 Cox Communications subscribers sued in Georgia, the case is
    Motown Records v. Does 1-252
    44 Earthlink subscribers sued in Georgia, the case is Virgin v. Does 1-44

    The briefs, as well as other case information about these cases as
    well as the others, are all here:
    http://eff.org/IP/P2P/riaa-v-thepeople.php.

    EFF maintains a list of the targeted IP addresses here:
    http://eff.org/IP/P2P/riaasubpoenas/riaa_all_doe_ips.txt

    Cindy

    At 1:29 AM -0500 2/25/04, Declan McCullagh wrote:
    >---
    >
    >Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:04:01 -0500
    >From: "Angela Bradbery" <abradbery@private>
    >Subject: Music industry hasn't justified ID-ing file-sharers/Public
    >         Citizen press release
    >

    >Public Citizen has filed two "friend of the court' briefs in
    >lawsuits brought by record companies against file-sharers.
    >
    >In both cases, which are pending in Pennsylvania and Georgia courts,
    >Public Citizen argued that the music industry has not shown adequate
    >justification for unveiling the identities of anonymous online music
    >"pirates."
    >In the briefs, the group are asking both courts to require the
    >record industry to follow procedures designed to protect the privacy
    >of Internet users in its latest round of lawsuits against unnamed
    >alleged music file-sharers.
    >
    >To view the Pennsylvania press release, click here:
    ><http://www.citizen.org/pressroom/release.cfm?ID=1650>http://www.citizen.org/pressroom/release.cfm?ID=1650
    >
    >To view the Georgia press release, click here:
    ><http://www.citizen.org/pressroom/release.cfm?ID=1651>http://www.citizen.org/pressroom/release.cfm?ID=1651
    >
    >###
    >Public Citizen is a national, nonprofit consumer advocacy
    >organization based in Washington, D.C.
    >
    >Angela Bradbery
    >Deputy Director, Communications
    >Public Citizen