[Politech] Public Knowlege urges action to oppose House database bill [ip]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 05:46:40 PST

    Subject: Database Bill Mark-Up
    Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:00:14 -0500
    From: Sarah Brown <sbrown@private>

    We've sent this action around before, but the situation has worsened. It seems
    that a markup of the bill will happen next week in the House Energy and Commerce
    Committee. We really need to bombard them with faxes _right now_.

    I know no one believe is, but these actions actually have quite a big effect;
    paticularly for bills like the database bill that the Representatives don't
    think are on the public's radar. The faxes also give Representatives that want
    to oppose the bill a "good excuse" when their colleagues ask for their vote as a
    political favor.

    Please, distribute this message to your mailing lists.

    thanks,

    Sarah

    TAKE ACTION =>
    http://www.publicknowledge.org/take-action/PublicAction.2004-01-29.5078945128/

    Congress is currently considering a bill (H.R. 3261) that does for
    facts what the DMCA did for copyright and innovation--it will prevent
    the public from accessing and using information in ways that are
    guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

    When was the last time you used the Internet to check the weather?
    Look up an address or phone number?  A sports score?  A stock
    portfolio?  Although these are all simply facts, your ability to access
    and use this information could soon be locked away, inside someone
    else's database.

    Save your right to get the facts!  Log in to Public Knowledge's Action
    Center and tell your Representative to oppose unreasonable database
    protection.

    TAKE ACTION =>
    http://www.publicknowledge.org/take-action/PublicAction.2004-01-29.5078945128/

    Keeping an eye on Washington for you,

    The Public Knowledge Staff
    http://www.publicknowledge.org

    P.S. To unsubscribe from our mailing list or action center, please send
    an email to pk@private

    To log in or join the Public Knowledge Action Center, click the link
    below:
    http://www.publicknowledge.org/join_form

    To find out more about Public Knowledge, click the link below:
    http://www.publicknowledge.org