[Politech] John Gilmore on Americans' right to travel anonymously [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 06:04:34 PST

    Subject: Re: [Politech] Questions on CAPPS II [priv]
    Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 02:53:34 -0800
    From: John Gilmore <gnu@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
    CC: politech@private, gnu@private

    > If you travel frequently or have experienced problems with government or
    > commercial databases or both then you have every reason to want to learn
    > more about CAPPS II because this system and its color coded risk assessment
    > will determine whether you will be able to board a plane and takeoff to your
    > destination.

    Why is everyone ignoring the elephant in the transit lounge?  People
    complain that CAPPS-2 might enable the government to prevent you -- or
    you -- or you -- from traveling, perhaps with inaccurate databases,
    political targeting, or bureaucratic ineptness.  But the government
    does not have the power to prohibit travel.  Citizens and lawfully
    admitted foreigners have a fundamental right to travel anywhere they
    want inside the US.  [See http://freetotravel.org]

    E.g. Justice Potter Stewart wrote in 1969, "[T]he right to travel
    freely from State to State ... is a right broadly assertable against
    private interference as well as governmental action.  Like the right
    of association, it is a virtually unconditional personal right,
    guaranteed by the Constitution to us all." (in the Shapiro v. Thompson
    case).

    To take away our right of free movement, TSA would have to arrest us,
    which requires them to charge us with a crime.  It's no crime to
    travel without filling a mess of databases with your life particulars.
    Watch the Supreme Court closely to see if it makes the right decision
    after hearing Hiibel v. Nevada on March 22 [see
    http://papersplease.org].  That case asks them to reaffirm that it is
    also no crime to not have an ID, or to refuse to produce ID papers on
    demand by a government agent.

    	John

    PS: Until the U.S.A. becomes the U.S.S.A, people have the right
    to leave the country if they choose, too.  So, we can move around
    freely inside the US and we're free to leave.  How could CAPPS-2
    restrict our movements, then?  By violating the constitution?

    ---