[Politech] More coverage of FBI, VoIP and CALEA [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 23:38:17 PST

    http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/News/NewsWatch/2105E6314F309E1486256E64003BA31D?OpenDocument&Headline=Internet+is+wiretapping+frontier

    Internet is wiretapping frontier
    By Michael D. Sorkin
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    03/27/2004

    The FBI already can intercept phone lines, e-mails and instant messaging
    with ease.

    Now it's fighting for even faster and easier access. The bureau and
    other law enforcement agencies are in a battle with the companies that
    transmit the e-mails, phone calls and instant messages.

    Police would still need a court order to tap phone or computer lines,
    and that likely won't change.

    The current battle is over whether the FBI will dictate the technology
    to eavesdrop on Internet communications. Also at stake: whether you will
    pay more to use the Internet.

    This month, the FBI unveiled a plan to require all U.S. broadband
    providers, including cable and DSL companies, to rewire their Internet
    networks to make it easier for police agencies to intercept messages.

    The government's ability to stop terrorism "is significantly dependent
    upon our ability to intercept communications," says Greg Motta, an FBI
    associate general counsel.

    "At a time when our country is debating - did our intelligence-gathering
    agencies fail us in 9-11? - the FBI is saying that if we do not resolve
    this problem, we cannot do an adequate job to protect the American
    people," Motta warns.