[Politech] With election nearing, Bush talks up broadband

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 23:39:45 PST

    http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/03/20040326-9.html

      I want to talk about one other thing we've got to do to make sure this
    is a good place for people to realize their dreams and start a business
    and get well educated, is we've got to make sure this country is on the
    leading end of broadband technology. You see, new ideas and new
    businesses and new ways to educate people in Farmington, New Mexico are
    going to occur when we're able to get information flowing across cables
    and telephone lines in a fast way. That's what broadband technology is.
    It means we'll open the highways of knowledge -- new highways of knowledge.

    This country needs a national goal for broadband technology, for the
    spread of broadband technology. We ought to have a universal, affordable
    access for broadband technology by the year 2007, and then we ought to
    make sure as soon as possible thereafter, consumers have got plenty of
    choices when it comes to purchasing the broadband carrier. See, the more
    choices

    there are, the more the price will go down. And the more the price goes
    down, the more users there will be. And the more users there will be,
    the more likely it is America will stay on the competitive edge of world
    trade.

    The more users there are, the more likely it is people will be able to
    have interesting new ways to receive doctors' advices in the home. The
    more affordable broadband technology is, the more innovative we can be
    with education. It's important that we stay on the cutting edge of
    technological change, and one way to do so is to have a bold plan for
    broadband.

    Let me say one thing about broadband -- we don't need to tax access to
    broadband. The Congress must not tax access to broadband technology if
    we want to spread it around. (Applause.)