[Politech] Mixed feelings about Californians ratting out neighbors' cars [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 21:02:00 PDT

    Subject: Re: [Politech] Cops ask Californians to rat on their
    neighbors'	cars [priv]
    Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:32:15 -0500
    From: Craig S. Cottingham <craig@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

    On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 11:27, Declan McCullagh wrote:
> [...]

    I don't see anything on that page that certifies that (a) I am a citizen
    of the state of California and (b) the information I'm submitting is to
    my knowledge true. (Maybe if you submit information, you get such a
    statement to acknowledge before continuing; I haven't tried it.)

    In other words, I can sit here in my house in the Midwest and enter fake
    license plate sightings until my fingers are sore, and there's nothing
    legally wrong with that.

    If I *really* wanted to cause trouble, I'd make note of license plates
    and the make/model/color the cars they're attached to as I pass them on
    the road or at the shopping mall. A check with the appropriate state
    database would confirm that yes, that plate really *is* registered to a
    car of that make/model/color, and a CHP officer would have to spend time
    finding out that the owner isn't actually a resident of California.

    Then again, maybe they'll just take the easy way out, assume guilt until
    innocence is proven, send a bill and a threatening letter, and leave it
    up to the plate registrant to prove that he or she *isn't* a resident of
    California.

    --
    Craig S. Cottingham
    craig@private