[Politech] Defenses of Gmail and criticisms of encryption everywhere [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 21:00:58 PDT

    Subject: RE: [Politech] A criticism of Gmail and a call for encryption
    everywhere [priv]
    Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:41:17 -0400
    From: Adam Goldberg <adam_g@private>
    To: 'Declan McCullagh' <declan@private>

    This argument seems to boil down to:

    "Someone had some very private information available unencrypted and
    unprotected in any way available from a HTTP server accessible via the
    internet.  He was then surprised to find that it was available to anyone
    over the internet."

    The privacy violation isn't that google monitored the browsing (you gave
    them permission).  Nor is it that google indexed it (you gave them
    permission).  The privacy 'violation' is that private information was made
    freely accessible by the owner of the information.

    Adam Goldberg
    adam_g@private