[Politech] Two replies to Australia considers deleting info from gv't websites [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 21:16:19 PDT

    Subject: Re: [Politech] Australian state considers deleting info from
    gv't 	websites [fs]
    Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:24:32 +1000
    From: Roger Clarke <Roger.Clarke@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
    CC: Red Wolf <redwolf@private>

    Although I very much share Red Wolf's concerns about the Australian
    Govt, and to an only slightly lesser extent the NSW Govt, the
    sentence attributed to the Premier (Bob Carr) isn't actually all that
    bad:

    >"If there is any way we can meet our counter terrorism demands and
    >objectives by tightening up, without infringing on the right of the
    >public to know and the efficiency that comes with that, then we'll look
    >at it," he said.

    In another report, in The Canberra Times of Sunday 25 April 2004:

    "NSW Police Minister John Watkins said a review of access to such
    information would be undertaken.  But balancing the right to the
    information with security would be difficult".

    Again, on face value, that's not an unreasonable statement.  (And all
    the more significant because NSW Police Ministers have always been of
    the extremist law-and-order style, and seldom say reasonable things).

    --
    Roger Clarke              http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

    Xamax Consultancy Pty Ltd, 78 Sidaway St, Chapman ACT 2611 AUSTRALIA
                     Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916
    mailto:Roger.Clarke@private            http://www.xamax.com.au/

    Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program, University of Hong Kong
    Visiting Professor in the Baker Cyberspace Law & Policy Centre, U.N.S.W
    Visiting Fellow in Computer Science, Australian National University