[Politech] EPIC steps up anti-Google campaign with "wiretapping" allegation [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 21:37:23 PDT

    http://news.com.com/2100-1038_3-5205554.html?tag=nefd.hed

    Three nonprofit groups alleged this week that Google's forthcoming Gmail
    service violates California wiretapping laws--but lawyers who specialize
    in privacy law were skeptical of the claim.

    In a letter sent to California Attorney General Bill Lockyer on Monday,
    the Electronic Privacy Information Center argued that Gmail must be shut
    down because it "represents an unprecedented invasion into the sanctity
    of private communications." Gmail provides one gigabyte of Web-based
    mail storage in exchange for context-sensitive advertising that appears
    on the right side of the screen.

    "We believe that Gmail violates California's wiretapping laws,
    subjecting both Google and Gmail users to criminal and civil penalties,"
    said the letter, also signed by the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse and the
    World Privacy Forum. "Accordingly, we respectfully request that your
    office investigate the Gmail service."

    Stewart Baker, a partner at Steptoe & Johnson who advises technology
    clients on surveillance-related topics, said EPIC's analysis was flawed.
    "This is a pretty Luddite notion that if the machine reads my mail, then
    I've been wiretapped," Baker said. "That would set (Web based) services
    back quite a ways."

    [...remainder snipped...]