[Politech] Defenses of Scientific American editorial on Bush & science

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 21:53:28 PDT

    Subject: Re: [Politech] Scientific American slams Bush for biased science
    Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:48:18 +0100
    From: Charles Arthur, The Independent <carthur@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

    Hi Declan...

    At 12:41 am -0400 on 30/4/04, you wrote:

    >It is not unthinkable that scientists have political biases. In fact, it
    >would be remarkable if many were not lifelong Democrats who may be
    >tempted to be a bit more critical of a Republican's science policies
    >than they would, say, a Bill Clinton's. Moreover, many scientists rely
    >on government funding of domestic programs, which arguably increases
    >faster under Democratic regimes.

    I'm sorry, Declan, but that is a really *disgraceful* comment to put above
    an article which is not arguing for "more funding" and which is not about
    political points, but about how well *science* is served by an
    administration - and how well an administration treats the independent
    science provided to it.

    Look at just a couple of the details, because the editorial is scathing in
    its entirety.

    > In February his White House
    >received failing marks in a statement signed by 62 leading scientists,
    >including 20 Nobel laureates, 19 recipients of the National Medal of
    >Science, and advisers to the Eisenhower and Nixon administrations.

    Both Republican presidents, by the way.

    >The administration misrepresented... [snipped; in the original email. A
    >very depressing list of misrepresented science.]

    >... Blind loyalists to the president will dismiss the UCS
    >report because that organization often tilts left--never mind that some of
    >those signatories are conservatives. They may brush off this magazine's
    >reproofs the same way, as well as the regular salvos launched by California
    >Representative Henry A. Waxman of the House Government Reform Committee
    >[see Insights, on page 52] and maybe even Arizona Senator John McCain's
    >scrutiny for the Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation. But it
    >is increasingly impossible to ignore that this White House disdains
    >research that inconveniences it.

    That last is the kicker. Scientists get really uncomfortable when they find
    themselves arguing against the facts; they change their worldview instead.
    A decade or so ago, there was a lot of thinking that climate change would
    lead to a new ice age. The studies showed that was wrong. The studies
    weren't discarded - instead, the idea of the coming ice age was.

    George Monbiot, with whom I don't always agree, wrote a terrific piece
    about climate change scepticism recently
    (http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1204194,00.html).

    More generally, I'd say this about the scientists I've spoken to and read
    over the years: they're pretty indifferent to politics and politicians,
    except where those politicians try to influence the disinterested practice
    of science. And especially if those politicians ignore good science in
    favour of their own preferences, religious or otherwise.

    David King, the chief scientific adviser to the British government, has
    repeatedly said that "Climate change is a greater threat than terrorism":
    he said it at the AAAS meeting, in Science magazine, and more recently
    here. But I bet you won't hear George Bush acknowledging that. Terrorism is
    sudden, and right here and now. Climate change is gradual, but also here
    and now. It's much easier to demonise terrorists, though, than ourselves.

             best
             Charles
    The Independent newspaper on the Web: http://www.independent.co.uk/
             It's even better on paper