[Politech] Jim Warren on Texas' pathetic public records Web site

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 22:04:56 PDT

    Subject: are Texas' most basic public records REALLY this repressed?!
    Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 15:16:41 -0700
    From: Jim Warren <jwarren@private>

    In the early '90's, the Texas Controller was at the FOREFRONT of
    providing robust online public access to already-computerized public
    records -- an outstanding example of the BEST in "civil" "service"!
    I cited his operation in print and in seminars for public officials.
    But now ...

    I wanted to check on a possible online scam, that said it was part of
    a Dallas corporation.

    I went to the Texas Secretary of State's website,
    http://www.sos.state.tx.us/ , which said, in part, "On this site, you
    can search for a corporate name, ..."

    Exactly what I wanted!  I clicked on the "search for a corporate
    name" link, which took me to
    http://www.sos.state.tx.us/corp/sosda/index.shtml .  It said,
    "SOSDirect provides the following:
    * Enhanced search capabilities for business organizations including
    searching by entity name, ... of a corporation.
    * Expands records available online and includes records filed with
    the SOS relating to:
    * Corporations
    ..."

    I clicked on "Click to enter here" ... and only then, discovered that
    there appeared to be NO way to perform that most simple function --
    ascertain whether or not an alleged/suspect Texas corporation really
    exists (search by name) and if so, find its corporate filing address
    and major officers -- without setting up an account, obtaining a user
    ID, and paying money.

    Oh!  But -- ahah!  Down in the smallest print of their
    authorized-user login page,
    https://direct.sos.state.tx.us/acct/acct-login.asp , I discovered,
    "You may login as a temporary user for this session by completing
    this temporary login form. NOTE: This will allow you to do web
    inquiries and place orders, but not submit filings."

    Right!  All I wanted to do was a simply one-time search for basic
    public information about a Texas corporation.  Clicking "temporary
    login form" took me to
    https://direct.sos.state.tx.us/acct/acct-templogin.asp -- which
    intrusively asked for all sorts of *personal* information.

    WHY THE HELL should a citizen have to give name, address, phone and
    email-address ... MERELY to see already-computerized PUBLIC records
    online?!  (Is that kind of surveillance information also required of
    those who walk into Texas' Corporations Department, and ask at their
    counter, for access to their basic public records?)

    Okay ... so I sighed in disgust, and filled in all the required --
    UNnecessarily intrusive! -- personal information, and clicked
    "Continue".

    That took me to
    https://direct.sos.state.tx.us/acct/acct-templogin.asp?spage=templogin1
    ... which, contrary to the assurance that it would "allow you to do
    web inquiries", instead, demanded CREDIT CARD information.  After, of
    course, already capturing all my personal data.

    Nonetheless, on the chance that it was simply slipshod web-page
    design, and really would allow me to do the most simple of searches
    without a credit card, I clicked "Continue", sans credit card info.

    That took me to a nearly-blank webpage that said only:
    "Microsoft VBScript runtime  error '800a000d'
    Type mismatch: 'cdate'
    E:\INETPUB\SOSDIRECT\ACCT\../common/common-func-payment.asp, line 55"

    So much for being a "temporary user for this session ... to do web
    inquiries"!

    (And just to top it off the quality of this website, these
    personal-data capture pages included the line: "Instructions:
    INSTRUCTIONS NEED WRITTEN."  That's it; nothin' else.  Which is of
    course, meaningless.

    SHEESH!

    I didn't want to file documents.

    I didn't want to give them a whole batch of personal information, nor
    establish an account, just to see if they had ONE PUBLIC record (a
    single alleged corporate name).

    And I certainly don't see ANY reason to require that a citizen
    identify themselves, give significant personal information, set up an
    account, and pay fees, JUST to access the most basic of PUBLIC
    government records!

    --jim
    Jim Warren; jwarren@private, public-policy advocate & technology writer

    [self-inflating puffery: InfoWorld founder; Dr.Dobb's Journal first editor;
    Soc.of Prof.Journalists-Nor.Cal.James Madison Freedom-of-Information Award;
    Electronic Frontier Foundation Pioneer Award (1992, its first year);
    Playboy Foundation Hugh Hefner First-Amendment Award (1994);
    founded the Computers, Freedom & Privacy Conferences; blah blah blah]