[Politech] Republican politico wants "P2P child predator" smackdown! [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 20:57:47 PDT

    Subject: Rep. Pitts lauds action against P2P child predators; but "we
    need	 more"
    Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 16:13:35 -0400

    News from Congressman Joe Pitts

    Sixteenth Congressional District of Pennsylvania

    Contact: Derek Karchner, 202 225-2411
    For Immediate Release
    May 17, 2004

    Rep. Pitts lauds action against P2P child predators; but "we need more"

    Says his bill would help parents be proactive, stopping harm to kids
    before it's done

    Washington-Congressman Joe Pitts (R, PA-16) today commended law
    enforcement efforts to combat the growing dangers of child pornography
    traded over Peer-to-Peer file sharing networks.  But, he said, "we need
    more."

    "This action should be commended," said Congressman Pitts.  "It's not
    easy to find these criminals.  And these agencies have worked hard to
    smoke them out. But Friday's announcement is a disturbing confirmation
    that Peer-to-Peer programs are being manipulated.  They are becoming an
    ever more dangerous platform used by child predators - some convicted
    child molesters - to attack kids.

    "I think we need more.  The only real tools we have against Peer-to-Peer
    child predators are reactive, employed after the harm has been done.
    Those tools are an important part of our strategy.  We should continue
    to use those tools, and prosecute these people aggressively.

    "But parents need the ability to protect their kids before they are
    harmed by these perverts.  My bill, HR 2885 would give parents these
    tools and help them prevent this from happening in the first place,"
    said Congressman Pitts.

    On Friday, The Department of Justice, the Federal Bureau of
    Investigation, the Department of Homeland Security's U.S. Immigration
    and Customs Enforcement, and the Internet Crimes Against Children (ICAC)
    Task Forces announced a national law enforcement initiative aimed at
    combating the growing volume of illegal child pornography distributed
    through peer-to-peer (P2P) file trafficking computer networks.

    The law enforcement operation, which began in the Fall of 2003, has
    resulted in of hundreds of searches nationwide, the identification of
    thousands of computers used to access the child pornography, and the
    arrest of more than 65 individuals.

    More information on the initiative can be found at <
    http://www.usdoj.gov <http://www.usdoj.gov> >.

    #   #   #