[Politech] Ex-CIAers' take on creating one U.S. intelligence agency

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 21:01:07 PDT

    Subject: Re: [johnmacsgroup] How to Reform the CIA and the FBI
    Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 09:03:13 -0700
    From: Ross Stapleton-Gray <amicus@private>
    To: johnmacsgroup@private
    CC: Dave Farber <farber@private>, Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

    At 04:33 AM 5/14/2004, John F. McMullen wrote:
    >http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/14/opinion/14WHIT.html?th
    >OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR
    >The Needle in the Database
    >By CHRISTOPHER WHITCOMB
    >The problem breaks down in two ways.
    >
    >First, the government's intelligence community is made up of 15
    >semi-autonomous and poorly integrated agencies. In addition to the F.B.I.
    >and C.I.A., there are intelligence wings at the Energy and Treasury
    >Departments. The military has intelligence cells within all five branches
    >as well as a Defense Intelligence Agency.
    >First, the government should integrate all intelligence programs in a
    >single agency. Make the Central Intelligence Agency just what it is
    >supposed to be: central. The director of central intelligence serves, at
    >least in principle, as the president's chief intelligence officer. Give
    >him the resources and authority to go with the title.
    >
    >Second, we should divide the C.I.A. into counterterrorism, war-fighting
    >and diplomatic directorates to better manage all national security
    >objectives. Make the C.I.A. a service provider for other government
    >agencies; create a common strategic goal.

    Up front, I'll note that I spent six years at the CIA, largely as an
    intelligence analyst (but also coming in as what CIA calls a "career
    trainee," a kind of junior exec program that involves interim assignments
    in other directorates, and an "all-Agency" indoctrination); my last year
    and a half were with the Intelligence Community Management Staff, the
    smallish staff that manages the Director of Central Intelligence's (DCI's)
    oversight of the Intelligence Community.

    Firstly, there are a lot of good reasons for there to be an Intelligence
    Community, and not a "Single Intelligence Agency."  Whitcomb was career
    FBI, which may be why he didn't think to comment on the fact that the IC
    budget is hugely skewed toward Defense agencies.  In addition to
    "intelligence cells" in the services, there are whole agencies under the
    budgetary wing of the Pentagon, and "support to the shooter" is an enormous
    part of what the IC does.  Here's a chart of the IC, with both hard and
    "dotted" lines:
    http://www.cia.gov/cia/reports/Ann_Rpt_2002/appendA.html
    (NIMA has since been renamed as the National Geospatial-Intelligence
    Agency, and there is now an Undersecretary of Defense for Intelligence at
    the top of the DOD agency hierarchy.)

    Absolutely that community could work together better, and some of what we
    did in CMS was to shine the "flashlight of visibility" on programs that
    ought to be more informed of each other, and either collaborating, or
    dismantled.  But Whitcomb seems to fail to understand why there might want
    to be various agencies, that either specialize in a given collection
    mission (such as the NSA, or NRO), perform all-source analysis for
    particular customers (CIA and DIA), or are organic parts of other agencies
    or departments with primarily non-intelligence missions.

    And I'm more than a bit amused that, after mushing all of these agencies,
    roles and missions into One Big Agency, he would then turn around and
    suggest balkanizing it into the various constituent parts that already
    exist among the agencies today.

    Ross

    Stapleton-Gray & Associates, Inc.
    http://www.stapleton-gray.com