[Politech] Replies to Mass. governor demanding ID at political rallies [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 21:27:56 PDT

    Subject: Re: [Politech] Mass. governor demands ID at political rallies
    Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 15:06:31 -0700
    From: John Gilmore <gnu@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>, gnu@private

    In a hallway in a public school where the Governor of Mass was speaking:

    > >       SECURITY NOTICE
    > >       The following items will not be admitted:  ...
    > >       SIGNAGE LITERATURE  ...
    > >       Government issue photo ID may be required.

    So to listen to the governor you now may need to show your
    government-issued "papers please", in addition to having your
    non-government-issued "papers" confiscated?

    I'm glad that Joe Bradley refused to surrender the flyers he'd collected,
    and instead alerted the public.  But lost in the discussion of the First
    Amendment right to carry pieces of paper around, is the issue of whether
    the First Amendment right to assemble and listen to (or petition) the
    Governor without "government issue [sic] photo ID".

    I am a live person, a citizen, and a taxpayer, and I have no
    government-issued photo ID.  What rights do I have to listen to the
    Governor when he comes to speak?  He seems to think I have none.  What
    do you think?

    	John Gilmore
    	www.papersplease.org
    	www.freetotravel.org