[Politech] An exchange over RFID chips and privacy fears [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 22:04:49 PDT

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2004/07/13/rfid-defense/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: What's so bad about RFID?
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:22:10 -0400
From: Jim Harper - Privacilla.org <jim.harper@private>
To: 'Parks' <parks@private>,        'Declan McCullagh'
<declan@private>

Hi Drew-

Sorry for the delay in replying.

In my paper, I've tried to do some hard-headed, practical thinking about
RFID to displace some of the fanciful imagination that is dominating current
discussions.  Your laundry example provides a case-in-point for the benefit
of really thinking it through.

Let's say RFID gets traction in the laundry business.  Even at five cents a
tag, they had better make the tags reusable because if they don't that would
burn up about 5% of what they're getting paid for the entire article of
clothing.  Especially because it's reusable, the tag is going to be
something the laundry clerk can manipulate with his or her hands.  It's
going to be the size of current paper tags, or larger.  (The current
smallest version is about 16mm diameter.  Making it smaller will make it
more difficult to work with, so I doubt you see further miniaturization.)
Thus, if the tag isn't removed for reuse at the laundry, you will find it
when you go to put the shirt on, and remove it just like you do the current
paper tags.

I suppose laundries could ask customers to accept smaller, permanent RFID
sewn into shirts so they could process laundry more efficiently, but they'll
have to make the sale to skeptics like yourself.

So, the laundry example starts out sounding spooky and ends up sounding
fairly boring, don't you think?  I'd be happy to hear more info if there is
something that I'm overlooking.

I won't go through all of the other concerns you raise, but RFID does no
more to increase potential tracking of your purchases through the payment
system than bar codes already do.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jim

Jim Harper