[Politech] Update on laptop -- Apple came through

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 15:38:55 PDT

Here's a short update to last Friday's post about my laptop woes:
Everything is fine. Apple came through.

In slightly more detail, here's what happened: A few hours after
Friday's Politech post went out, Ryan Long from Apple's repair service
called me back. He said that because the logic board might not arrive
anytime soon, Apple would give me a permanent replacement laptop that
could be shipped out immediately or picked up (if the store was
willing) at my local Apple retail store. Because the Clarendon store
had no problems with the arrangement, I picked up a replacement 15"
laptop from the store that evening and spent the weekend moving my
files over.

I should note that Ryan had mentioned the possibility of a replacement
(but with no firm timeframe in mind) earlier in the day
Friday. Perhaps the Politech post accelerated the process by a few
days, or perhaps Ryan had new shipping information; I'm not sure. I've
heard from other Apple customers who had been given replacement units
after roughly the same repair time had elapsed. It seems to be
something that Apple does when necessary.

Kudos to Apple. I was too harsh in my criticism of them on Friday, and
they came through quite nicely. I'd recommend them to anyone still
stuck in the Windows world.

-Declan

PS: I'm in San Francisco at (415) 344-2285 for the next 8 days.