[Politech] EFF forces Diebold to cough up cash in DMCA copyright case [ip]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Oct 18 2004 - 07:10:42 PDT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: EFF: Diebold Coughs Up Cash in Copyright Case
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:58:07 -0700
From: Cindy Cohn <Cindy@private>
To: Declan@private, dave@private
CC: Annalee Newitz <annalee@private>

Hi Dave and Declan,

I thought you both might want to share this with your lists.  I hope
it rings in a new era -- misuse copyright law and you pay the other
side's attorneys as well as your own, on top of damages. This should
encourage more attorneys to take these sorts of cases and perhaps
most importantly, help ISPs feel that they can stand up for their
customers in the face of overreaching or unfounded cease and desist
notices.

And as we head toward the election, I hope this means that we've seen
the last of voting machine companies trying to silence their critics
online.

Cindy

Cindy Cohn                            Cindy@private
Legal Director                          www.eff.org