[Politech] Dan Geer on identifying terrorists: money, communications [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 22:15:21 PDT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Politech] Jim Harper: What was in the water at Markle
Foundation task force meetings? [priv]
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:13:40 -0400
From: dan@private
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
CC: politech@private, dan@private

Declan, et al.,

There are two absolute requirements for effective
terror, and they are (1) money and (2) comms.  It is
also flatly the case that if you have an enemy that
can strike in a location independent fashion without
identifying himself in the process, then your strategy
must center on pre-emption.  Pre-emption, to be
effective, requires intelligence and intelligence
requires surveillance.  Thus it should be of zero
surprise that the question of how badly we want to
defeat terror should come down to our strategy for
the surveillance of (1) money and (2) comms.

--dan