[Politech] Replies to ITAA's claim that e-voting machines worked fine on Election DAy

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 20:34:50 PST

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [Politech] E-voting machines have succeeded today, ITAA claims
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 18:18:20 -0500
From: Pescatore,John <John.Pescatore@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

Isn't this sort of like saying "Windows was secure today" or "Twenty
million smokers smoked today and didn't die today"?

  The issue wasn't that insecure voting machines would experience blue
screens of death today, or that they would record votes for Jim Nasium.
The issue is that if flawed machines are used for the hight security
application we have, sooner of later bad things will happen. ITAA seems
to have the same attitude as teenagers who smoke thinking "Cigarettes
won't kill me today".

John Pescatore

John Pescatore            VP/Research Director, Internet Security
Gartner Inc.                 john.pescatore@private