[Politech] ITU's Richard Hill on ICANN's $.75 fee and Net governance

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 21:00:52 PST

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: ICANN partying like it's 1999
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:20:35 +0100
From: <richard.hill@private>
To: <declan@private>

Declan,

With reference to your article

> http://news.com.com/ICANN+partying+like+its+1999/2010-1071_3-5495758.html
>
> ICANN partying like it's 1999
> December 20, 2004, 4:00 AM PT
> By Declan McCullagh

Here are some comments that you may, if you wish, post publicly.

As you know, ITU does not charge a per-number fee for administering
E.164, E.212 and/or Q.708 naming and numbering resources.

Nor do most national regulators (although practices vary nationally).

But I don't know whether that is relevant or not.

For interest, the American Heritage dictionary gives the following as
its second definition of tax:  "a fee or due levied on the members of an
organization to meet its expenses"

Separately, I note that you state "some inchoate process involving the
United Nations' International Telecommunications Union."

My dictionary defines inchoate as "1. In an initial or early stage; just
beginning; incipient. 2. Immature, imperfect".  Now the ITU is surely
not perfect, but its processes are surely neither immature, nor just
beginning, nor at an initial or early stage.

On the contrary, as most people recognize, the ITU's processes are
stable and predictable.  And work well for many topics.

Also, the ITU's processes and procedures for substantive matters are
independent of those of the UN, and ITU's work program, priorities, etc.
are determined by ITU's membership using ITU's own processes.  On the
other hand, salary scales and certain staff regulations are common to
the entire UN system.

Best,
Richard

Richard Hill