[Politech] More on what happens to your Web-based email after you die [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 21:26:44 PST

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Politech] Peter Swire on a felled soldier and Yahoo's
privacypolicy [priv]
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:42:07 -0500
From: James Maule <maule@private>
To: <declan@private>

There's another interesting, and confusing twist to Peter Swire's
analysis. Courts have long held under princicples of public policy, that
a decedent cannot direct the destruction of property after death. Thus,
even though one can light a proverbial cigar with a proverbial rolled up
$20 bill, one cannot order one's cash burned after death. Nor, according
to several cases, can one order the razing of one's home (even if one
could do so during lifetime), and this is an issue aside from permits
and environmental concerns.

The classic hypothetical of the love letters that the decedent orders
burned puts on the twist by positing that the love letters have value.
In fact, the more secrets, the deeper the secrets, the more widespread
those impacted or interested in the secrets, the higher the value of the
love letters. Thus, for celebrities the issue reaches a peak because
generally their letters would have higher value. For many of the rest of
us, the value is lower. For some folks, the value could be so low as to
be negligible, making destruction of the letters less likely to fall
afoul of the "no destruction of valuable property after death" public
policy doctrine.

How do privacy rights affect these mattes? Well, a will isn't private,
and hence the advise to use a trust. So a direction in a will to destroy
love letters (or love emails) would alert the public that they exist,
whereas a direction to a trustee to whom the letters are bequeathed
would be private, at least as among the parties or until the matter is
made public through litigation.

There is a huge issue here for estate planners. I get my students very
disturbed when I ask them to think about a possible premature death and
the contents of their laptops and email accounts. A hush settles over
the room, broken by sighs and groans.

Jim Maule
Villanova University School of Law