[Politech] Drew Clark on "Spectrum Wars" in National Journal [econ]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 21:54:15 PST

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: "Spectrum Wars" in National Journal
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:07:30 -0500
From: Drew Clark <drewclark@private>
To: declan@private

Declan,

Readers of Politech may be interested in my history of the "spectrum
wars" for National Journal.

Generations ago, broadcasters got the right to use the airwaves--now
worth billions of dollars--for free. Ever since, they have used heavy
lobbying and political friendships to stave off rivals. But as the
digital age unfolds, change is in the air.

By special arrangement, this article is freely available on the Web at
http://nationaljournal.com/about/njweekly/stories/2005/0218njsp.htm

A link to this story is available on the front page of my Web page, at
http://www.drewclark.com

cheers,

Drew Clark
Senior Writer, National Journal's Technology Daily
Columnist, "Wired in Washington," every other Tuesday in
CongressDailyAM and online at www.drewclark.com/wiredinwashington
Blogger, www.drewclark.com

The Public Broadcasting System has always felt beleaguered by funding
woes. This is a perpetual quandary for PBS, and a long-term funding
crunch is coming. Read the column at
http://nationaljournal.com/about/congressdaily/columns/clark.htm

National Journal's Technology Daily home:
Information about National Journal's Technology Daily:
http://www.technologydaily.com (free)