[Politech] Bloggers, chill out, says Democratic FEC commissioner [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 08:08:46 PST

http://news.com.com/2010-1030_3-5602660.html

Bloggers, chill out already!
March 7, 2005, 10:53 AM PT
By Ellen Weintraub

Bloggers of America, chill.

Reports of a Federal Election Commission plot to "crack down" on
blogging and e-mail are wildly exaggerated.

First of all, we're not the speech police. We don't tell private
citizens what they can or cannot say, on the Internet or anywhere else.
The FEC regulates campaign finance. There's got to be some money
involved, or it's out of our jurisdiction.

Second, let's get the facts straight. Congress, in the Bipartisan
Campaign Reform Act, limited how one can pay for communications that are
coordinated with political campaigns, including any form of "general
public political advertising."

The commission issued a regulation defining those communications to
exempt anything transmitted over the Internet. A judge struck down that
regulation as inconsistent with the law. So now we're under a judicial
mandate to consider whether anything short of a blanket exemption that
will do.

[...remainder snipped...]