[Politech] David Brin on transparency, sousveillance and reciprocal accountability [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 19:57:46 PST

David is replying to John Gilmore's email here:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/03/08/more-on-teachers/

David's own web site, with information on his science fiction novels and
"The Transparent Society" is here:
http://www.davidbrin.com/

Subject: 	transparency, sousveillance and reciprocal accountability
Date: 	Tue, 8 Mar 2005 17:59:01 -0800
From: 	d.brin <dbrin@private>
To: 	gnu@private, declan@private, politech@private,
pivotalinfo@private

Thanks for sharing John's cogent reaction to the Brick Township
hypocrisy.  We are living in times when secrecy has become the great
temptation of those in authority.  They want light to shine on everybody
but themselves.

This is, of course, human nature.  We should not get angry... that drug
is for fanatics and ideologues of both left and right.  We who are loyal
to modernism and the Enlightenment should ignore emotion and think
pragmatically.  How can we make sure that the Enlightenment's one great
innovation - reciprocal accountability - empowers all people to protect
themselves against abuse of power?

John points out that I speak up for openness in The Transparent
Society.  This seems especially important now, under an administrations
that has reversed the trend of the nineties toward LESS government
secrecy, and pushed instead for the greatest INCREASE of secrecy in our
lifetimes, plus dozens of other measures to evade accountability.  These
measures should frighten us far more than a few tweaks of search warrant
procedure that allow the FBI to see better.

We are less threatened by the FBI seeing, than we are by them evading
being seen.  (Citizen supervision.)

In fact, the radical version of reciprocal transparency goes beyond what
I had in mind.  See Steve Mann's sousveillance movement.  Kind of creeps
me out.  But even such a world would be better than one in which we are
all blind.  http://wearcam.org/sousveillance.htm

With cordial regards,

David Brin
www.davidbrin.com