[Politech] Fingerprints, thumbprints, and all-around biometric silliness [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 22:18:55 PDT

Previous Politech messages:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/04/28/more-on-businesses/
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/04/28/arkansas-salon-requires/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Politech] More on businesses requiring fingerprints for
gym, tanning salon memberships
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:44:13 -0700
From: Tom Collins <tom@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

On Apr 28, 2005, at 9:31 AM, Declan McCullagh wrote:
 > When tanning salons (and supermarkets, etc.,) start amassing
 > fingerprint databases, it becomes that much easier for identity
 > thieves to steal this information.  "Spoofing" fingerprints turns out
 > to be relatively easy once you have an image of the print[1].

One would hope (but shouldn't assume) that these systems actually store
a hash of the actual print instead of the print itself.  This way,
compromising the database wouldn't give you the information you need to
re-create the print itself.

But, the problem for the privacy conscious is that you don't know
what's being done with your print when it's acquired.  For all you
know, it's ultimately going into a massive FBI database that tracks you
any time you use a scanner.

--
Tom Collins  -  tom@private
You don't need a laptop to troubleshoot high-speed Internet: