[Politech] Technical privacy tips: More on customs-proofing your laptop and border safety [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 13:41:25 PDT

Previous Politech messages:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/05/03/proofing-your-laptop/
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/04/21/update-on-alabama/

Also note PGP announced their "whole disk" solution (yes, including
encrypting your boot drive under XP) yesterday:
http://news.com.com/2061-10789_3-5698279.html

Subject: Re: [Politech] Customs-proofing your laptop: Staying safe at
border searches [priv]
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 14:35:25 -0700
From: Chris Palmer <chris@private>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

Declan McCullagh writes:

> Can anyone recommend a checksum'ing utility for Windows and OS X? It
> would be nicer than a command-line interface.

I hacked this up for the fun of it:

http://www.noncombatant.org/software/digest.py

Requires Python with the Tkinter GUI module, tested on Mac OS X, Linux,
and Windows. I can build standalone packages if anyone cares.

--
http://www.eff.org/about/staff/#chris_palmer