[Politech] More on DNA database of anyone detained (not arrested) by cops [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Sep 13 2005 - 07:02:52 PDT

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/09/10/federal-dna-database/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [Politech] Federal DNA database of anyone detained by
police advances in Senate [priv]
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:02:43 -0400
From: Richard M. Smith <rms@private>
To: 'Declan McCullagh' <declan@private>, <chip.pitts@private>

Hi,

Here is another method that the police have used to collected a DNA sample
in the past:

    Seattle Police Trick Gets Judge's Approval
    http://www.komotv.com/stories/28382.htm

    King County Superior Court Judge Sharon
    Armstrong ruled that police did not violate
    John Athan's privacy or other rights by
    sending the New Jersey man a phony letter
    saying he was eligible for money in a class-action
    lawsuit over parking tickets. Athan responded
    to the letter -- and licked an envelope,
    leaving saliva that provided his DNA.

Perhaps the IRS has already built a DNA database from our mailed in tax
returns. ;-)

Richard M. Smith
http://www.ComputerBytesMan.com