[Politech] Jim Harper on how anti-RFID'ers harm immigrants, the poor (and public libraries) [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 09:38:45 PST

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/11/09/rfid-protesters-target/

My own views on RFID regulation, if anyone's terribly interested:
http://news.com.com/Don't+regulate+RFID--yet/2010-1039_3-5327719.html

I also received a message from a library director at a public library
that I've been asked not to post verbatim. To summarize it, they're
planning to replace bar code and security tags with RFID tags within the
next three years. That will let librarians check out a pile of books
without opening each one -- and also put a scanner in the book return
slot too.

One huge benefit is to staff ergonomics (that's a lot of book handling
eliminated). The RFID tag does not contain any information about the
book or patron, just a unique ID like a barcode -- only numbers.

A boycott-worthy "spychip?" Or a way to help librarians avoid carpal
tunnel injuries, save money, and use their budgets to actually buy more
books?