[Politech] Feds mull mandatory data retention laws for Internet service providers [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2006 - 23:44:15 PDT

I've put a copy of the Colorado legislation here:
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/colorado.data.retention.041206.pdf

Previous Politech messages:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/06/16/feds-contemplate-forcing/
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/09/23/european-commission-proposes/

http://news.com.com/ISP+snooping+gaining+support/2100-1028_3-6061187.html

ISP snooping gaining support
April 14, 2006, 4:03 AM PDT

The explosive idea of forcing Internet providers to record their
customers' online activities for future police access is gaining ground
in state capitols and in Washington, D.C.

Top Bush administration officials have endorsed the concept, and some
members of the U.S. Congress have said federal legislation is needed to
aid law enforcement investigations into child pornography. A bill is
already pending in the Colorado State Senate.

Mandatory data retention requirements worry privacy advocates because
they permit police to obtain records of e-mail chatter, Web browsing or
chat-room activity that normally would have been discarded after a few
months. And some proposals would require providers to retain data that
ordinarily never would have been kept at all.

[...]

Flint Waters, head of the Wyoming's Internet Crimes Against Children
task force, also is pressing for federal data retention laws...

"Individuals will activate their Webcam when they're abusing a child and
they'll record the sexual assault live, and it may be 45 days before law
enforcement finally gets notified," Waters said. "We reach out to
service providers and they say they don't maintain those records, so the
child remains in that environment, and there's nothing we can do to help
them."

[...]