Re: Re-RSA and large numbers

From: Kev (klmitchat_private)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 11:18:45 PDT

    Again we ask, PLEASE WRAP YOUR LINES!

    > However I would like to know what the trick is.  Some people suggested storin
    > g the numbers in a string.  This seems a bit crude and would probably be too
    > slow.  Does anyone know how these libraries work, at least in theory.  I susp
    > ect the large numbers get broken down or factored into smaller ones.  On the
    > other hand factoring is also slow.  Please give me a hint :)

    No factoring is involved.  They're stored in a string, but we're talking about
    C here--a string is just an array of 8-bit bytes.  8 bits of your value are
    stored in num[0], another 8 bits in num[1], etc.  I think, though, that most
    libraries use larger values than individual chars:  32 bits, or 64 bits where
    supported, as the size of the individual array element--which enhances
    performance.
    --
    Kevin L. Mitchell <klmitchat_private>