Re: Re-RSA and large numbers

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 14:15:49 PDT

    [Adam, please wrap your lines.]

    * Adam Berent <adminat_private> [010501 10:50]:
    > However I would like to know what the trick is.  Some people suggested
    > storing the numbers in a string.  This seems a bit crude and would
    > probably be too slow.  Does anyone know how these libraries work, at
    > least in theory.  I suspect the large numbers get broken down or
    > factored into smaller ones.  On the other hand factoring is also slow.

    You need to find a copy of Knuth's Art Of Computer Programming. Volume 2
    covers arithmetic (and other things). Of course, it is fairly old text
    (in our industry :), so it may not be the last word on arbitrary
    precision arithmetic -- but it is still worth reading.

    As for current implementations, your best shot is reading the source. :)

    --
    Earthlink: The #1 provider of unsolicited bulk email to the Internet.