Canary-based BoF protection method

From: Douglas Ostling (chiefat_private)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 13:35:24 PDT

    I think I have found a unique new buffer-overflow protection method
    through testing a special program that I have attached.  It works by
    placing a character pointer initialized to a four-character value directly
    above the buffer on a machine with strings that grow upward.  The data is
    copied from the input string pointer to the character array buffer by means
    of the 'memmove' function, specifying the appropriate size of data to move.
    Any helpful feedback on this would be much appreciated.

    --
    // chiefat_private - Douglas Ostling - Q U A S I S O F T

    "For dignity compos'd and high exploit... all was false and hollow."
    --Milton, Paradist Lost II