Re: CDSA-biometrics

From: KuroiNeko (evpopkovat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 20:40:57 PDT

    > I'm  doing   a  thesis  in   implementing  CDSA  (Common   Data  Security
    > Architecture)
    > in a program used for secure authentication. I'm going to use biometric
    > devices for this purpose.

     Don't expect  biometrics to be  all-it-takes. A real-life example.  A bank
    had a dactiloscopic  scanner to authenticate users of  rented private vault
    cells. A woman came to rent a  cell, but they simply could not establish an
    account for her  because she was a  typist and her fingertips  were so soft
    and papillar  pattern was so  blurry (very  thin skin) that  scanner simply
    could not identify her.
     Also, marketoids  of biometric  systems tend  not to  tell you  one really
    important thing: you should  not assume that a part of  human body used for
    auth will always remain and always be the same. A person can loose a finger
    in  a  disaster, ditto  an  eye.  Skin  tends  to change  fast,  especially
    fingertips, voices change, even adults' voices.
     Provided that  biometric scanners  and recognition  software still  cost a
    fortune, and they  still have to be backed up  by traditional auth methods,
    real advantage of biometrics is still questionable.

    --

     ÌĤ¯Ç­¤ÏÁͤòÊá¤é¤Ì